Looking for something to do as a family this holiday season? There are plenty of South Charleston holiday events for everyone to enjoy this Christmas.
Light Up the Levee: Sponsored by the First Presbyterian Church of Charleston as a fundraiser for the local food pantry, Light Up the Levee is a Christmas caroling event at Haddad Riverfront Park featuring a children’s choir on December 15th.
Christmas with Qiet: Enjoy a live music party at the Clay Center for the Arts & Sciences. With plenty of craft brews and local musicians performing on the 16th, you’re sure to have a good time.
Ugly Sweater Party: Everyone loves a good ugly Christmas sweater. Participate in the holiday festivities by going to the Ugly Sweater Party – complete with a contest – at the Empty Glass on December 23rd.
Watch the Parade: Even if you missed the South Charleston Christmas Parade on the 10th, it’ll be airing on television on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! Make sure you catch it with your family.
New Year’s Eve Bash: The holidays don’t end with Christmas. Make reservations for this great New Year’s Eve party thrown by Holiday Inn and ComedyZone!
There are tons of South Charleston holiday events for the whole family to enjoy or even just for date night, so make sure you mark your calenders.
Myrtle Beach is an easy drive from Charleston, WV! If you’re planning on a road trip to Myrtle Beach this summer, here are some fun things to do along the way before you reach the sun, surf, and sand.
- South of The Border. Just past the North Carolina/South Carolina border on Highway 501 is this one-of-a-kind roadside attraction. It is known for its clever signs, a kiddie ride park, reptile lagoon, and so much more.
- Myrtle Beach Visitors Center. Find one of these along your route and pick up a handful of money-saving coupons to use during your trip.
- Seafood Capital of the World. Make a detour to Calabash, North Carolina and enjoy some deliciously fried shrimp and fish. There are also numerous gift shops.
- Georgetown Harborwalk. Head just south of Myrtle Beach to Georgetown. Here you’ll find some of the most beautiful views of the ocean along with great restaurants and shops.
- Sweetgrass Basket Stands. You’ll find these iconic basket stands along many of the routes heading into Myrtle Beach. These hand-woven baskets represent one of the oldest forms of West African art in the country.
These are just a few of the most unusual and fun ways to spend your time while on a road trip to Myrtle Beach. What are some of your favorite Myrtle Beach destinations?
Did you know that every winter, numerous lakes and streams in West Virginia are restocked with trout? This year, trout stocking in West Virginia took place in 51 lakes and streams. And, according to the Division of Natural Resources, this could lead to a record year for many anglers.
Lakes are stocked with fish to keep up with fishing demand along with supporting local habitats and restore populations. The fish are raised in hatcheries until they are big enough to be released into the wild.
This year, the lakes and streams were stocked with rainbow, brown, golden rainbow, and brook trout. And, because of the mild winter we had, the trout were able to grow bigger than usual.
“Our hatcheries have had a good year,” said Jim Hendrick, hatchery program manager for the Division of Natural Resources. “The mild fall really helped. The water in the hatcheries stayed relatively warm, and the fish continued to eat and grow. We’re kind of bursting at the seams with trout right now. In terms of pounds stocked, we might be looking at a record.”
Check this list to see which lakes and streams are stocked with trout each year in West Virginia.
June 18th is recognized as National Go Fishing Day. To celebrate, you should plan a trip to your favorite fishing hole. Has this been a record-setting fishing year for you?
Enter Joe Holland Hyundai’s Memorial Day Facebook Photo Contest! Joe Holland wants to thank our veterans and U.S. military members! Message us a photo of veteran or active duty member you know that deserves to be honored. We will upload the pictures into our Memorial Day Facebook Photo Album. The photo that receives the most likes will win a $200 gift certificate to the local restaurant of their choice, courtesy of Joe Holland Hyundai!
To enter, simply message us a photo of a veteran or U.S. military member that you know and we will upload it to our Memorial Day Facebook Photo Album. The picture with the most likes by 4:00 pm on May 27th will win!
Like our page on Facebook to learn about more promotions, offers, and to stay up-to-date on the latest automotive, local, and dealership news: https://www.facebook.com/joehollandchevrolet/
- Must live in the Charleston, WV area
- One entry per person
- Likes must be on the photo posted on the Joe Holland’s Facebook page – Likes on shared photos will not count
- Last day to submit a photo is 5/27/16 at 12pm
- Voting ends 5/27/16 at 4pm
- Winner will be announced on Facebook
Please contact Joe Holland for details or if you have any questions!